June 29, 2015

my favorite toasted muesli



I have spent 3 years perfecting this recipe. I didn't want to share it until I got the combination just right. My husband who is my taste tester (and a harsh critic at that) agrees this recipe has reached perfection! Over the years I've actually halved the amount of sweetener I started with...shhh...don't tell my husband! My favorite way to eat it in winter is with my homemade yogurt, (recipe here) a teaspoon of my raspberry chia jam (recipe here)and some chopped banana. In summer I love to top it with yogurt and fresh stone fruit, mango, berries or figs. 


my favorite toasted muesli 

INGREDIENTS

400g oats (I use organic oats)
100g unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
100g sunflower seeds
100g pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch Himalayan salt or sea salt 
300g mixed nuts (I use a combination or walnuts, pecans, almonds, macadamias, brazil)
100g coconut oil 
100g pure maple syrup, honey or rice malt syrup
200g mixed dried fruit (I use dates, figs, apricots, apple, mango, blueberries & sultanas

METHOD

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. 

Place oats, coconut, seeds, salt & cinnamon into a bowl. 

Measure nuts into the thermomix bowl using scales. Chop nuts in thermomix by turning the nob to speed 5 and straight back to zero 3 times as quickly as you can. Be careful not to over chop the nuts. If you don't have a thermomix you can just chop the nuts by hand.

Place coconut oil and sweetener into a saucepan and melt over medium heat on the stove top. 

Add to dry ingredients(except dried fruit). Stir to combine and then pour out onto a tray lined with baking paper

Cook 20-30 minutes stiring over 5 minutes to attempt an even toasting and to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when evenly toasted all over. Cool on baking tray

Pour into an airtight container. Add dried fruit and shake to combine. Keep at room temperature for up to 4 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN
POWERED BY BLOGGER